Photo Credit: Abbotsford Airshow
With an action-packed lineup of superhero-themed activities and entertainment, this year’s Abbotsford International Airshow is set to keep you busy all weekend long.
“You don’t have to just sit on your blanket and watch airplanes. You’ll have a full day at the airshow,” said media coordinator Jadene Mah.
This annual event is now the largest Canadian airshow with an average annual attendance of 100,000 people. In 2014 it was named one of the best 10 airshows in the world and since adding the popular Twilight Show two years ago, it’s only getting bigger and better.
Friday night heroes light up the sky with lights, pyrotechnics, and flares in the Twilight Show. This display will be different from daytime shows even though there will be some of the same performers.
Photo Credit: Mona Lucas
Meet your favourite Heroes of the Skies at the 54th annual Abbotsford International Airshow. Posters will be available for purchase on site and there will be many opportunities to get signatures from and selfies with your favourite performers. Here are some of the featured aerial acts.
• Canadian Forces Snowbirds
• CF-18 Hornet
• Canadian Forces Skyhawks
• Screamin Sasquach
• USN F/A-18 Super Hornet
• Breitling Jet Team
• Gary Rower
• HFF Spitfire Mk IV
From old to new, military to civilian, enjoy the variety of aircraft on static display. Here are a few of the displays to look forward to.
• USAF F-15 Eagle
• A-10 Thunderbolt
• Macdonnell Douglas KC-10 Extender
• Boeing C-17 Globemaster
• USN FA-18 Super Hornet
• USCG C-27J Spartan
Children will love the array of activities including inflatable toys, climbing wall, face painting, crafts, and interactive aerospace presentations.
Photo Credit: Abbotsford Airshow
AIRSHOW TIMES & LOCATION
• August 12-14, 2016
• Friday gates open at 3:30 p.m. and close at 10:30 p.m.
• Saturday and Sunday gates open at 9 a.m. and close at 6 p.m.
• The Airshow will be located at YXX Abbotsford International Airport
Tickets can be purchased in advanced or on show day, for single days or for the entire weekend. Parking is included with the ticket price and kids aged six and under are free. Kidsworld members enter free with an adult admission.
• Purchase tickets online here.
• Purchase advance tickets at any Lower Mainland Save-on-Foods
• Purchase tickets on show days from the King Road entrance
TYPES OF TICKETS
• General admission—free onsite parking, access to general seating area, static display, kids zone, ground exhibits, and concessions
• Runway seating—this ticket upgrade gives you a reserved seat all day on the front show line (for 2016 the section numbering has changed, see the website for more information)
• Flight club—this ticket upgrade adds front show line viewing and entrance to a beach-bar style seating area
• Panasonic Photo Pit—bring your camera, lenses, and all your gear! This ticket gives you a frontline view of the airshow, patio-style seating, light dinner, pop and water, run up photo shoot, souvenir airshow program, and more
• President’s Club—this all-inclusive admission package includes outdoor seating at patio tables with sun umbrellas and show-centre view of the action in the sky.
WHAT TO BRING
• Refillable water bottle
• Lawn chair, blanket, umbrella
• Earplugs (this is a loud event)
• Comfortable shoes
WHAT NOT TO BRING
• Hard-sided coolers
With weekend camping packages, shuttles between onsite areas, fully plumbed washrooms, beer gardens, food trucks, shopping, and more, now is the time to plan your family’s best three-day weekend of the summer.
The show goes on rain or shine. Come see why the Abbosford International Airshow is Canada’s National Airshow.
Robyn Roste lives and works in Abbotsford. She loves telling stories and learning more about her city.
More from #ExploreAbbotsford: